Thursday, May 29, 2008

Memorial Day (Month)

We were so glad to be back in Utah this year so that we could visit some of the graves of our loved ones.


This is where Great Grandma and Grandpa Bartholomew are buried in Fillmore, Utah. They are Chad's grandma and grandpa on his mom's side. They were such giving and generous people.


Great Grandma Shumway is also buried in the Fillmore, Utah cemetary. We got to stop here on our way back from Chad's race in St George. Grandma Shumway was an amazingly strong woman and died while we were living in Oregon.

This is Grandpa Mills grave. He is my dad and he is buried close by in the Alpine Cemetary. We were able to take a walk from my mom's house to the cemetary on Memorial Day. Isaac was a baby when he died and so none of the kids have any memories of my dad. He was a great man and I miss him so much.

I had to throw this picture in from Christmas Eve of this last year. I just thought it was too funny! My mom dragged us all out to the cemetary in the middle of a blizzard so that we could put luminares on my dad's grave. (It's a tradition she has been doing forever.) I don't think the candles stay lit for more than 5 seconds but we did it and we have the picture to prove it. You can't really tell who anyone is. My younger brothers and sis in law Andrea are standing behind me and mom is the bundled up one in the red coat in back. The kids even toughed it out. Aren't we glad that memorial day isn't in December?
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Becky said...

We miss you guys, a friend at church told me it was 24 hr drive to get to salt lake from here, do you think I could do it with 4 kids and no Nate? Did you know that Nate's step dad is John Bartholomew? I wonder if there is any relation?

Becky said...

Hey, I forgot to tell you that I saw Chad's sis (Sis. Parrish as she is known here) at Stake Conf. two weeks ago. It was pretty funny, I walked around after church asking every missionary I saw, do you know Sis. Parrish? They boys all knew, he he, she is a real cutie. Did she get transferred? She said she was probably getting transferred that week.

Amy said...

You are so good to visit all the graves in Fillmore, I too have relatives buried there. I love that your dad is close to you guys, funny that your mom had you go in a blizzard, all bundled up.

Hey Merrie I have your scentsy order, I need to bring it by. Hope you're doing well, how is school?

Skea Family said...

these pics made Neil homesick for Utah...even the snow one;)