Wednesday, August 6, 2008

A Strange Family Tradition

Usually when I tell people about our odd family tradition I get a few laughs and a few "No ways!" But to our family it doesn't seem that strange in fact we can't imagine it any other way. Chad paints all of our nails. It actually kinda started way back when Chad and I first started dating in high school. He came over to my house to visit and I pulled out my nail polish. He thought it would be funny to paint all of my toes a different color. I went to school the next day with 10 different colors of nail polish on my toes. Then with my first pregnancy when I couldn't reach my toes anymore Chad started doing it for me. He has done it for me ever since and started doing the girls as well. He would start when they were just babies. They always had pretty pink toes. They don't ever ask me to paint their nails, only Chad. He enjoys the one on one time with the girls. Here Shina is on the phone with Grandma and Grandpa Parrish while Dad is painting her nails. I can picture this as a common scene as she becomes a teenager talking with her friends on the phone while her dad does her nails.
The great thing is is that Chad does a really good job too! The other day I had to paint my own toe nails because they were chipping and I was wearing sandals and Chad wasn't home. He came home later and saw my toes and asked who painted them. I told him I did. He said you need to let me do them. The don't look very good.
We have a huge collection of nail polish with lots of colors to choose from. Whenever Chad goes out of town he usually brings the girls back some nail polish. It's fun to see the different colors he chooses.
When Lafe sees all the girls getting their nails painted he wants his done too. Chad doesn't like the idea of it at all. But Lafer just wants to be part of the action. And their is no reasoning with an almost 2 year old. So Chad insists on using a more manly color like green or blue if he is going to paint his nails. Hopefully he will grow out of this soon.
As strange as the tradition sounds it is a treasured one that would definately be missed if we stopped doing it.

4 comments:

Steph said...

Merrie~
How lucky are you? What a great tradition! My little Landon (also 2) loves to get his toes done. Steve refuses to let him... I do it anyway... :) Your family is darling. It is great getting to see you.
Stephenie Rice

Kim-the-girl said...

Personally, I love it and wish Ethan would do it for me more than when I'm prego. Chad, you rock!

Skea Family said...

That's funny...I can't even get Neil to touch my feet...and my feet are just so cute too:) Good Chad...he Needs to teach Neil and maybe they can learn to do pedicures together!

Amy said...

I love Lafers blue toes the best. How cute that Chad does that, what an awesome dad he is. So good to hang last night. I have loved seeing you guys this last little while. We sure do love you guys!